You don’t remember that you have a smoke detector in your house until you hear it beeping. This is something you can take for granted because it will look out for you in the most critical situations. Choosing not to have it because who uses it on a daily basis will be a no-no because you must get one.
Having a smart smoke detector in your house will make sure that if something catches fire you are alarmed abruptly. This is for your own safety and for the safety of your family and belongings.
Just like having some night vision security cameras around, the security alarms work in the same way, they just alert you before.
Facts About Smoke Detectors
Most people wonder if the smoke detectors actually help us in some way or not. So here are a few facts that will seem interesting to you. They will let you know that smoke detectors do have some work so you must make sure that yours is working.
- According to a report from the Red Cross, around 900 people per year would have been saved from fire if their smoke detectors were working.
- A good quality smart smoke detector will be able to reduce the risk of your death due to fire by 82%.
- NFPA is that having smoke detectors in your home will reduce the death rate due to fire by 50%.
- 40% of deaths due to fire at home were because of the absence of a small detector according to FEMA.
- The National Fire Protection Association says that 25% of the smoke detectors don’t work because their batteries are dead. That is the reason why you need to make sure that your smoke detectors are working perfectly fine and the batteries are new.
What to Look for in a Smoke Detector?
When shopping for the best smart smoke detector, you need to keep a few things in mind. Here are the top ones for you. Choosing a smoke detector can’t be taken lightly because your life somehow is at stake if you get the wrong one. This is the era of smart bulbs along with smart wifi light switches.
Type of Alarm
This is a really essential one as it actually determines the working of your alarm. When it comes to a smoke alarm, you can go for either ionization or photoelectric alarms or even go for both combined.
Just like a wireless doorbell, both come with their specific pros and cons but ultimately a combination will do the thing for you.
This type of alarm is designed to detect any slow fire or smoldering.
These work great for fast-burning fires.
You should look for an alarm that can detect both.
Power Setting of Smoke Detector
Some smart smoke detectors just like smart security cameras, work with batteries and others need electricity. You can also find a few that work with both and when the batteries are out, the hardwire works and in case of no electricity, the battery will keep you alarmed in case of an emergency.
We always recommend going for a safer option because this is something that your life depends on.
Some of the detectors come with LED lights that turn on in case of an emergency to help people with hearing disabilities. If you have such a problem, you should make sure that the alarm comes with some good quality LED lights.
Carbon Monoxide Detection
Getting a smoke detector combined with CO will provide a better alert. If the level of CO increases to a dangerous level at your home, the alarm will let you know.
Kidde KN-COSM-IBA Smoke Detector
The Kidde smoke detector is a basic device to get the work done. It comes with the fundamental working with some additional features.
This device is able to detect not just smoke and fire but also Carbon monoxide. This way when the level of CO reaches a level that is not healthy for you, the alarm will start beeping.
There are indication lights in the alarm to make sure that you know if there is something wrong. All of the threats will be treated even if there are people with hearing impairment in the house.
The price tag here also makes it a tough competition for others. It will detect any smoke even if your house is out of power.
As compared to the many smart detectors, this might be a fairly basic service but it does deliver a lot at this price.
- It gives a voice alert in case of smoke, fire, or CO.
- There are backup batteries for alarms without power.
- There are light indicators for people with hearing impairment.
- It is not automatic.
- Only works with batteries.
First Alert BRK 312OB Smoke Detector
This first alert alarm luckily comes with a dual sensor for different types of fires. This way the risk of getting a false alarm is fairly reduced.
It has a hardwire connection along with a battery backup so it works even when the power is out. You will not have to worry about anything because it has backups.
You won’t hear any annoying beeps when you are just cooking or taking a hot shower. The reason is that this electric smoke detector has photoelectric sensors as well that are able to differentiate the real threats and everyday level of heat or smoke.
It does have both photoelectric and ionization alarms but unfortunately, you don’t get carbon monoxide detection.
- There are dual sensors present so it works great as a kitchen smoke detector.
- There is a silencing button that only requires a single touch.
- It works with electricity and has battery backup as well.
- The design is very basic.
Google S3000BWES Nest Protect Alarm
This Nest protects alarm is a smart smoke detector that has inculcated modern technology with the old idea. This WiFi smoke detector will connect you to the Nest Protect mobile application so you can remotely control it.
There is an automatic notification function that you can receive on your smartphone. So If you are at home or not, you will be able to hear the alarm. Just like you can manage your digital door lock with your phone, this works the same way.
It has the capability to detect all three types of threats that are smoke, fire, and carbon monoxide.
The alarm is powered by six AA lithium batteries. They will last you long enough so you can stay protected. If the batteries are about to die, you again get notified on your phone with the Nest Protect mobile application.
- There are timely alarms on your mobile phone with the Nest application.
- You will be notified on the phone if the batteries are running out.
- You can easily test your smoke alarm using the app.
- It has photoelectric as well as ionization alarms with the split spectrum sensor.
- It is expensive as compared to other options available.
X-sense Smoke & CO Detector
The built-in photoelectric and electrochemical sensors work perfectly to detect all kinds of fires in your house. There are high-quality sensors that will not give false alarms.
They will catch smoldering, fire, and smoke and will alert you about the situation immediately.
The batteries are specially designed and the company claims that they will last you as long as 10 years.
After proper testing, this product came out to be meeting the UL standards.
- High smoke or CO level will be detected.
- The battery lasts for 10 years.
- Cones with both photoelectric and ionization alarm detection.
- Doesn’t work with electricity.
First Alert Onelink Smoke Detector
This is one of the best smoke detectors for your family as it can be controlled with your voice assistant Alexa.
This smart smoke detector can tell you the weather, play music for you, or even set any timers that you wish for.
You can install it in a kitchen or your bedroom as it takes very little space.
It connects to the WiFi and gives mobile phone alerts via the First Alert OneLink mobile application.
It came with an 85 dB power alarm that will start speaking when a smoke or fire will be detected.
- It gives you smart alerts on the mobile application.
- There are 490 safety checks available.
- You can control it with your voice by Amazon Alexa.
- It is only compatible with Apple products.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to stop the beeping of my smoke detector?
Some of the detectors keep on beeping regularly when the batteries are about to die. This is a great way to save you from a bigger mishap.
You need to change the batteries but if you still hear the beeping, the alarm might be false. In that case, you need to change the detector itself.
Q2. Should I get smart smoke detectors?
Just like the normal ones, smart smoke detectors also come with their advantages and disadvantages. In the end, your preferences and budget decide the right product for you. But, obviously, you get a lot of extra features with a smart one because it is a WiFi smoke detector so the control is easier.
Q3. Is it important to test my smoke detector?
You should try to test your smoke detector at least once a month to make sure that it’s working fine. This way you will be safe from any false alarms or a dead alarm.