Perhaps you’re eager to furnish your space with smart technology like a z wave thermostat? Many homeowners swap their old thermostats with energy saving models and you can take your pick from this list of leading Z wave thermostat reviews. The best z wave thermostats in the market are compatible with a range of devices and have centralized control. But it isn’t easy to choose one that can automate your internal climate. You should consider a model that is environment friendly, and one that has an outsize impact on your household budget. In this review we will study the top rated Z wave thermostats and the benefits of installing one.
If you’re in a hurry, check out our top pick Alarm.com Smart Thermostat, a perfect device for multiple stories or bungalows with several rooms.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Z-Wave Thermostats for 2019 – Comparison Chart
- 2 Z Wave Thermostat Reviews for 2019
- 2.1 1. Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Z Wave Thermostat
- 2.2 Pros:
- 2.3 Cons:
- 2.4 2. Smart Thermostat
- 2.5 Pros:
- 2.6 Cons:
- 2.7 3. GoControl Z-Wave Battery Thermostat
- 2.8 Pros:
- 2.9 Cons:
- 2.10 4. TRANE XR524 Z Wave Thermostat
- 2.11 Pros:
- 2.12 Cons:
- 2.13 5. Remotec ZTS-500 Smart Thermostat
- 2.14 Pros:
- 2.15 Cons:
- 2.16 6. Stelpro Z-Wave Plus Thermostat
- 2.17 Pros:
- 2.18 Cons:
- 2.19 7. Radio Z-Wave Thermostat CT32
- 2.20 Pros:
- 2.21 Cons:
- 3 Lux Products TX9600TS Heating Cooling Thermostat with best features
- 4 Google Nest Thermostat
- 5 FAQ (Frequently asked questions) : Best Z-Wave Thermostats
- 6 Final Thoughts
Best Z-Wave Thermostats for 2019 – Comparison Chart
Z Wave Thermostat Reviews for 2019
1. Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Z Wave Thermostat
One of the leading smart thermostats in the market is the Honeywell YTH8320 thermostat that comes with a Z wave enabled controller. Honeywell’s VisionPRO Z-wave thermostat features a 10 square inch condensed display, touch screen interface and a real time clock. Most people like to optimize their monthly energy bills using this automated thermostat since the brand features cutting edge technology tailored to equip smart homes.
- Universal application allows it to work with variety of conventional heat pump or cooling systems. The thermostat can be configured to function on any schedule – exclusive weekly programmable, 4 regular periods, configure non-programmable and cancel select periods. This device is not a Wi-Fi thermostat, connects only to a Z wave communication system and is only compatible with other Z wave enabled home appliances.
- The smart thermostat sports a real time automated clock that records time for power failures and checks for daylight savings. The thermostat sports a wire save module – this means that it can be configured in homes that don’t feature a common wire (C terminal wiring). It comes with energy savings option that facilitates alternating between the heating and cooling modes.
- It features a large touch screen display with backlight that is incased within a white, rectangular shaped framework. The smart thermostat features multiple hold options, and can organize manual or auto changeovers without delay. The user friendly operation of the thermostat guides you through the programming only displaying necessary information.
- You don’t require batteries to power this smart thermostat.
- Universal application makes it compatible with majority of heating and cooling systems.
- Temperature control is comfort, precise and within 1 degree Fahrenheit.
- Z wave wireless control is versatile with similar functioning devices, and network specific.
- Smart response technology is engineered with an automated clock that is time stamped.
- Wire saving module allows it to function temporarily without a common wire.
- Features universal scheduling – from weekly periods to no schedule programmable.
- Can be supervised remotely for maximum comfort control.
- Sports a large, easy to read display screen which showcases concise text.
- Can automatically change from heating to cooling option based on temperature conditions all the while facilitating energy saving mode.
- Can’t be connected to a Wi-Fi zone, and only functions on Z wave thermostat programming.
- Common wire is required to power up the thermostat to function optimally.
The Z wave thermostat is quite expensive despite its outdated design.
The thermostat is hardwired to function with a Z wave communication system. So if you’re using any form of external internet, it still requires a Z wave master hub powered by Mi Casa Verde or any other supplying chain. Honeywell Z wave thermostat is ideal for consumers who prefer simplicity over complex mechanisms but can also afford it.
2. Smart Thermostat
One of the best Z wave thermostats is the Alarm.com smart thermostat that basically works in harmony with all energy-consuming devices installed at home. It is a Z wave thermostat with remote sensor facets and is already regarded a great household energy saving unit. If you want smart technology, the Alarm.com thermostat is a prompt addition that collects surrounding data to acutely optimize temperature conditions in every room at your beck and call. Not only does it feature a sleek design, this versatile gadget is compatible with a range of automation devices like your alarm system, thermostat, cameras etc.
- Measuring precisely 7.7 x 7.5 x 1.8 inches, this smart thermostat sports a sophisticated and smooth design, within a white framework. The Alarm.com app is easy to use and available for a range of devices other than Apple and Android systems. It can also function on Windows, Blackberry, Kindle Fire and Alexa, just to name a few.
- This z wave smart thermostat responds to multiple sensors located in different parts of the house. Whether you’re present in a room disarming your security system, or a mile away from home the thermostat detects your presence, and adjusts to an energy saving mode. It doesn’t rely on one room to coordinate temperature change but can also record multiple values in different rooms simultaneously.
- It is engineered with a wireless temperature sensor that allows regular monitoring of temperature of a room. If you want to ensure temperature adjustments in the baby room with maximized energy efficiency, this thermostat is presumably the safest. It can kick start your HVAC to reach a particular setting that is to your liking. Multiple wireless sensors can therefore be installed and connected to the app.
- Integration ability of the thermostat is an incredible asset since it detects high levels of carbon monoxide and smoke concentration in the air. In such cases, the thermostat immediately shuts off to prevent fire and other malfunctions. You can limit temperature thresholds, receive alerts in case of temperature change and enjoy maximized control using its Precision Control Technology.
- Smart home integration ensures proper response to change in temperature through smart sensors.
- Systematic control of smart devices that are compatible with the model to enhance comfort and energy efficiency.
- Learning capability of the thermostat credits its performance levels since it responds and adapts based on information gathered from multiple sources.
- Can sync with smoke detectors, HVAC, security system easily.
- Geo services records and detects your location immediately adjusting household conditions.
- The thermostat is linked to local weather reports thus allowing it to interpret data using several sensors.
- Demand response program is a useful feature that provides clients with rebates, discounts and several other rewards.
- It can communicate with Z wave enabled devices and ensure universal control.
- Price is slightly high for home owners who don’t have a smart home.
- You need regular network access to utilize and monitor the application.
- Alarm.com smart thermostat may be a top rated z wave thermostat however it is costly for standard home owners. The smart thermostat is the perfect device for multiple stories or bungalows with several rooms. If you own an apartment then a better choice would be the Z Wave Thermostat Nest Learning. But if you love a sleek design, and an automated system that provides centralized control then this is your best bet. Right from integrating your home’s security system to controlling the HVAC for optimum temperature conditions, this smart thermostat brings a lot to the table with the push of a button.
3. GoControl Z-Wave Battery Thermostat
- GoControl Z wave thermostat is z wave enabled and mobile friendly. It can easily change and adjust heating and cooling systems. One of the most economical models in the market, this device requires a z wave thermostat battery that is easy to install. Not the best looking model, but the simplified functions make it perfect for people who are not tech savvy.
- You can control the temperature conditions of your house via mobile device using this smart thermostat that is powered by 4 “AA” batteries. Measuring approximately 9.6 x 6.2 x 2.1 inches, it features a two year battery life, and can operate on HVAC system’s 24VAC “C” wire.
- The thermostat is Z wave compatible and supports Z wave FLiRS functionality. You’ll find the installation manual within the box that allows easy installation. Low voltage integration ensures compatibility with contemporary central HVAC systems (both heating and cooling).
- The battery powered thermostat is controlled by Z wave hubs, and this includes the 2GIG GoControl security system that comes along with the device. So wherever you go, you can connect the thermostat and the hub to an integrated app on either your tablet or the phone for supervised control.
- Is highly compatible with Z wave linked appliances, Alexa, Uplink and Telguard.
- Engineered with wall mounts atop single-gang junction box.
- User friendly technology that is easy to install and is a standalone thermostat.
- Can monitor and control HVAC heat pumping system and standard HVAC.
- Can either function on “AA” batteries or can be powered from HVAC system using 24VAC “C” wire.
- Is budget friendly.
- The display screen is acutely small and lacks touch screen option.
- It resembles a digital clock.
It is not ideal for smart homes that have multiple automated devices.
GoControl smart thermostat is a modern device that has an easy to read display but lacks touch screen option therefore needs to be manually operated. You can pair the thermostat with your smart phone app to control temperature conditions within the house. Since the device is simple to use and install, it is one of the leading thermostats in the market for consumers who prefer intuitive operation.
4. TRANE XR524 Z Wave Thermostat
This digitalized thermostat is a programmable, touch screen friendly device that complies with standard heating and cooling devices. It can remotely control the temperature conditions of your home and also reduce high level energy consumption. One of the best z wave thermostats in the market, TRANE is a z wave certified for use in home automation systems like the Nexia Home Intelligence system.
- Measuring 6.5 x 4.5 x 1.5 inches, this smart thermostat features a 4.3 inch white LCD display with four buttons on the lower end, and increase/decrease button towards the side. It offers screen lock out and a guest lock out feature that ensures maximized security control.
- The smart thermostat is programmable which means it can function on a weekly or 7 day schedule, and can create up to 4 heating and cooling schedules per day. It is compatible with Alexa, however to activate voice control you need to buy the support hub separately.
- It is a Z wave compatible system that supports single stage cooling and can be installed within 30 minutes or less by professionals. However it requires a 24 volt common and hot wire to assist operation mode. The thermostat sends maintenance notifications and filter alerts to your smart phone as reminder to facilitate the performance credibility of automated devices.
- It features a one button energy savings mode that ensures energy efficiency, and reduces high cost billing. The smart z wave thermostat is engineered with de-humidification setting since it contains a built-in humidity sensor to maximize temperature control.
How To Install Trane Z-Wave Thermostat
- For centralized temperature adjusting options, this smart thermostat features Z wave technology that allows portable control.
- Integrates easily with standard heating, cooling and heat pumping systems.
- It is fairly priced for a home automated device.
- Flexible temperature programs allow weekly adjustments, and 4 automatic settings per day.
- Simple white frame with a bright blue back light is easy to read and, features touch screen functionality on your mobile phone.
- Monthly subscription with Nexia Home Intelligence can serve to be problematic.
- This smart thermostat requires professional installation.
- Only supports single stage heating/cooling.
Trane is one of the best selling brands when it comes to residential HVAC systems. Z wave smart thermostat edition facilitates efficient energy consumption in your smart home automation system with remote access and universal programming. Available at an affordable cost this smart thermostat is perfect for homeowners who love a mix of technology and innovation.
5. Remotec ZTS-500 Smart Thermostat
Remotec Technology is a Chinese enterprise that has been a global principle in engineering Z wave system, Bluetooth, infrared and OEM/ODM services and home automation products. The ZTS-500 smart thermostat has been designed to offer simple and reasonable interface combined with Z wave certified controller. The smart tech gateway allows energy saving convenience, that specifically controls residential HVAC automated systems.
- Remotec ZTS-500 measures 7.3 x 4.3 x 1.5 inches and sports a sleek black display engineered into a durable framework. The thermostat features AES 128 encrypted communication with the Z Wave Plus Controller that provides adequate security for enhanced monitoring.
- The smart thermostat can function with or without a C wire and is also battery powered. It comes with 4 “AA” batteries to ensure sufficient functionality. The battery life extends till a year maximum. It is also OTA upgradeable.
- One of the primary functions of this smart thermostat is that it alerts, and sends indications for various operations – Low battery, Defrost function, Temperature change, Filter replacement etc. It supports 2 stage heat, 2 stage cooling and also features an automated fan. Detachable terminal board allows easy setup and also configuring.
- Remotec ZTS-500 can operate with 24VAC single and double stage conventional heating systems (oil/electric/gas). It offers two stage heating modes in heat pumping devices for both electric and gas operated machines. It is compatible with hybrid systems and allows one/two stage cooling in standard HVAC systems.
- Remotec ZTS-500 supports Wi-Fi for remote access control.
- Sports a sleek design and user-friendly interface.
- Z Wave Plus encryption is hardwired to promote adaptive communication.
- Temperature adjustment stabilizes electrical oddities in connected devices.
- Provides accurate and consistent readings, recordings and maintenance reports.
- Requires Z Wave Bridge to successfully program the unit.
- Screen is small and outdated in design.
Remotec ZTS-500 z wave thermostat is a considerable alternate if you’re setting up a smart home with limited automated devices. It is an active system that offers two methods of power surge, sleek interface and the ability to function without a C wire. These features make the device different from many other Z wave enabled thermostats. But since the thermostat can be operated via remote access from your phone or tablet, it certainly is an energy efficient model that provides cooling and heating options to your desired comfort.
6. Stelpro Z-Wave Plus Thermostat
The Stelpro Z wave plus smart thermostat is one of a kind! It is compatible with baseboard line voltage heaters. Baseboard heaters are integral energy efficiency devices that are installed on the baseboard of rooms. For e.g. these heaters are installed under windows to heat cool air and keep certain parts of the house warm and cozy. Baseboard heaters are convenient for small homes but aligned with the Stelpro smart thermostat with its multifunctional programming, you can enjoy energy efficiency at a pocket friendly cost.
- Stelpro is the first innovation company that has released a Z wave certified thermostat which is primarily equipped to control and monitor baseboard line voltage heaters and convectors that, come with a 2 wire connection. It is compatible with multiple home automated systems like HAI, Leviton, Homeseer, Vera, Smartthings and more.
- This Z wave plus enabled thermostat features 2 wire connection that is also compatible with 4 wire installations. Accurate programming allows temperature control for four periods a day. It provides protection against power failure and also sends reports, and alerts for temperature change, frost free warning and much more. The device comes with a 3 year warranty and is economically quite a popular choice.
- The device’s ECO mode ensures energy efficiency while you adjust and schedule temperature changes. The smart thermostat can be remotely controlled from your mobile or tablets when using the Z wave gateway that requires separate purchase. The motion sensors, heat sensors and door/window sensors regulate temperature changes. Features backlit screen with display that either reads temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit.
- Temperate range can be recorded from 5 to 30 degree Celsius, 41 to 86 degree Fahrenheit.
- Smart thermostat is compatible with forced air units.
- Backlit display with adjustable intensity can be used as nightlight.
- Power capacity can be recorded at 150W to 2000W at 120V & 300W to 4000W at 240V.
- Features a frost free warning.
- Is highly affordable and easy to install for small residential spaces.
- The smart thermostat does not support heaters with fans.
- Requires Z wave automation controller or gateway for programmed scheduling.
Stelpro Electric Heater smart thermostat is easy to install and is a very pocket friendly device. A notable review that’s been recorded is the variable duty cycle powering that keeps the heaters silent during operations. The simple 4 wire setup can be installed and coordinated manually without professional help. Incredibly affordable, this smart thermostat works incredibly well in small homes with baseboard heating systems.
7. Radio Z-Wave Thermostat CT32
For years now Radio Thermostat Company of America has established its name in the smart tech industry. In home innovation & security, the brand has released a unique share of high quality, durable, and consumer friendly products. The Radio CT32 Z-wave enabled thermostat sports a sleek look, features a touch screen display and is luxuriously economical.
- The Radio CT32 requires a Z wave communications hub, includes 300 series Z wave module and can work with any standard HVAC system (even traditional heat pumps and furnaces). Touch screen control is easy to use and the device itself measures around 5.5 x 4 x 1.2 inches with an ultra slim framework.
- The screen is bright and easy to read and it features weekly programming for different temperature settings. This is automated via the Z wave app and it allows users to control 2 stages of heating, and 2 stages of cooling. One of the best features is that it can operate with or without a C wire, and is battery powered (“AA”) as well.
How To Install Radio Z-Wave Thermostat CT32
- Economically sound device for small smart homes.
- Is compatible with majority of standard HVAC systems.
- Programming is not compatible with Windows 10.
- Requires Z wave communications hub for programming.
The biggest advantage of the smart thermostat is that, it is budget friendly and comes with a z wave thermostat manual. So if you want to install more than one in a single household, it can be a reliable fix to automate temperature conditions. The battery life is quite extensive and the device itself is durable. Hence it’s the perfect fit for a modern family in a comfortable residential space.
Lux Products TX9600TS Heating Cooling Thermostat with best features
Universally compatible Lux Products TX9600TS Heating Cooling Thermostat
is the best choice to make your house temperature normal in any kind of season.There are multiple systems that attract every passerby in a second.
- This heating cooling thermostat is large and light-weighted with an easy to read digital lighted display which is a touchscreen, you can operate it feasibly.
- It ensures that only the usage is for authorized users as its programmable touchpad is locked for the one who is not authorized.
- It is manufactured to save energy by adjusting heating and cooling.
- Programmable air filter life timer, Temporary temperature override, Adjustable temperature differential (swing) all are found in one device.
- With a single touch of a finger, dominate this thermostat and this quality is liked by all the members of the family especially for the homeowners, it is a good thing to purchase.
- Its performance is not worth ignoring because it offers an electric baseboard 24-volt heating and A/C system, two-stage heating/ one stage cooling. You will love to have it fixed at home and have comfortable days ahead.
- Programmable Air Filter Life Timer is another feature that gives ease and helps to monitor the temperature according to your mood.
- It is a self-described gadget that is quick to use the internal disposable battery to take the power initially, like this, the battery has backup power.
- There is no vacation feature on this model.
- 2-4 programmable periods in a day are there to set and control the temperature.
- An internal disposable battery is a big support.
- Backup power is a strong feature.
- It comes with a three years warranty.
- It is an inexpensive item with all compatibility.
- It can’t be operated by remote
Lux Products TX9600TS is a renowned brand, famous for its quality product. As usual, the discussed product is equipped with all standard features which serve you beyond limits. Have a smart home at an economical price.
Google Nest Thermostat
Everyone longs for an exceptional and affordable thermostat. Now stop your effort and have a look at Energy Star certified thermostat which is made for you only and facilitates you with saving energy and relaxing your nerves. The exclusive features of this advanced technology are discussed below.
- The Nest Thermostat is a updated designed to work without a C wire in most homes, but
- there are some systems like heating only, cooling only, zone controlled, and
- heat pump systems, which don’t work without C wire.
- It has automatic control which senses itself that there is no one, it turns down and saves energy with a professional attitude.
- Like all other programmable thermostats, this gadget can be utilized according to your plan so create a schedule in the Google Home app on your Android or iPhone and take advantage of Google Nest Thermostat to the maximum.
- It is not mandatory to be in the house to operate the Google Nest thermostat. Instead,
- through remote control you can adjust the temperature or switch on or off.
- Whenever the maintenance is needed or something wrong happens, get alerts through the smart thermostat which has HVAC monitoring.
- The installation is quite easy and possible within 30 minutes.
- Works with Alexa or others.
- Works with Nest Cam and devices Google Assistant, Philips Hue bulbs, IFTTT, smart appliances, smart watches etc.
- External sensors cost extra.
- 3-degree temperature swing.
- C wire might be required.
It covers all the smart features which are ideal to spend money on. At a very justified amount, you can have this latest version thermostat and relax your nerves. Overall, it is the best idea to work and spend money on it. It is the best solution for a quality security system. It has no comparison of its efficiency with another thermostat.
Buying Guide for Best Z Wave Thermostats
What is a Z Wave Protocol?
Z wave technology is a smart systems communication protocol that connects smart appliances for controlled processing, monitoring and feasible data exchange. The two way communication protocol was introduced by a Danish company Zensys focusing essentially on wireless connectivity. Z waves utilize low energy radio waves (800 – 900 MHz) to send and receive data from one device to the other.
How Does Z Wave Technology Work?
Unlike Wi-Fi where the devices require a central hub, Z wave enabled devices link up together to form a mesh network which relies on a central Z wave port. The devices interconnected can be anything – right from sensors to thermostats, even standard HVAC systems. When the Z wave hub receives a command from the smart home appliance on the user’s mobile or tablet via an app, it routes this command to the destination device through networks up to 232 devices.
In terms of identification, every Z wave network is unique because of its network ID and the end device is located by a node ID. This ensures crippling of data or interference between different Z wave home networks. Thus there’s no chance for any home networks to collide and suffer data interference while their smart appliances are turned on and functioning.
Why do You Need a Smart Z Wave Thermostat?
If you’re interested in saving money and electricity then a smart functioning thermostat is an ideal pick. But if you’re looking for energy efficiency in a smart home integrated system by controlling your house’s temperature conditions remotely – a z wave enabled thermostat is the best answer. Secure processes in a z wave enabled thermostat target temperature conditions in the surrounding space, simulate program enabled schedules, observe and detect physical abnormalities, and send alerts and notifications to your mobile phones in time etc. Z wave technology in thermostats is a necessary function if you run a smart home. Apart from reducing energy usage, many energy saving companies also offer rebates and incentives to families that thrive on eco-friendly practices.
Features of Z Wave Smart Thermostats
1. C Wire Setting
Traditional thermostats require a huge bolt of electrical power to function. Most batteries are under equipped to secure such influence. Smart thermostats work on a similar anomaly except they rely on low-voltage power that is facilitated by the HVAC system. Hence the presence of a C wire is necessary so that other devices can siphon power from the R wire. It is advisable to either have one installed or you should buy a device that provides C wire setting.
A smart feature to look for in thermostats is the geo-fencing option. It is a location based attribute that basically records and detects your presence from a certain distance. The feature uses the thermostat’s app and your GPS location to secure an operating perimeter around the house. This means when you leave the perimeter the thermostat will automatically preserve energy efficiency of smart appliances, shut off healing and cooling devices upon departure and adjust the temperature again once you’re back inside the perimeter walls.
3. User friendly Operation
One of the best features in a z wave enabled thermostat is remote access control. This means that even when you’re away, you can still access, monitor and control the thermostat. Your thermostat shouldn’t be difficult to install, and some products offer programming tips or guide you step by step through the installation phase. System complexity of your house is another factor to consider. Your thermostat should provide centralized heating/cooling and temperature control if you have multiple rooms via a single app.
4. Motion Detectors
Geofencing is a great feature but there are some Z wave enabled smart thermostats that provide motion sensors as a means of recognition. This means that motion and proximity sensors are alternative means by which your device can monitor, detect and control temperature. In such a case your device will rely heavily on motion sensors, heat sensors and other such commodities but it works excellently if you have multiple stories or if your house is huge and divided into distinct zones.
5. Smart Home System Integration
Most Z wave enabled thermostats collect and receive data from the Z wave app and it can be integrated with other z wave enabled devices. This means that you increase the functioning capacity of your smart home system by connecting multiple devices with the Z wave hub and hence enjoy centralized control. A good example is controlling temperature through voice control via Amazon Echo that is further linked to smoke detectors. The unremitting data exchange between devices ensures supreme control over smart appliances.
FAQ (Frequently asked questions) : Best Z-Wave Thermostats
1. How to get started with Z-Wave?
The first step will be to check if you already have any devices that are Z wave enabled. For example if you have a home security system by Alarm.com, Vivien, Honeywell security, ADT Pulse or ASG Security. The alarm systems function as a basic foundation and make suitable smart home hubs that keep tabs on several other smart home appliances. The smart home hub that is Z wave certified should serve as the magic box that communicates with several other devices. You can look for the Z wave certified logo to check if the device supports Z wave communication system. Smart locks integrated from Yale, Danalock, Westinghouse, Kwikset etc should allow you to add devices into your Z Wave ecosystem.
2. What if I have to install Z wave from scratch?
In such a situation you need to visit Z wave.com and select the Smart Solutions tab. Further select the type of smart home application you want to install. Once you’ve mentioned your level of technical expertise, the site will provide a complete go-through guide that includes starter kits, plug-in modules and advanced options. From there you should pick out the Z wave devices you’d like part of the home integration system. Lighting products, security systems, thermostats and climate detectors are great options to start with. Such models help save electricity, ensure maximized security and combine well with several other setups. You will also need to install the Z wave app on your phone or tablet to get remote access and/or activate geo-fencing option.
3. How Does Z wave thermostat help save money?
Z wave thermostat converts your smart home into an energy saving system. The process involves controlling standard HVAC systems remotely, scheduling programs that control temperature conditions of specific rooms, and sending notifications about filter clearance, climate change, humidity alerts etc. Air conditioning and ceiling fans function actively in this system, but you can also block out heat without using additional electricity. Smart window coverings decrease radiation by adjusting window shades through the application. You can also automate your irrigation system which means having centralized control of a motorized water valve. The device functions through the Z wave interface that monitors sustainable inflow/outflow.
4. How to pair Honeywell Z wave thermostat to SmartThings?
Honeywell Z wave thermostat is a programmable device that needs to be connected to the SmartThings App for automated temperature control.
- On the app, select the ‘Add device’ option from the Dashboard. Add the device manually in case of Android and select Thermostat to link with Honeywell.
- Once the device is recognized, you will need to select the location if there are more smart home hubs present.
- Press the System button on the left hand side of the display on the thermostat.
- Until the display changes, keep your finger pressed on the blank center button.
- You’ll receive a default set of numbers/arrows in the Functions section – tap and select RF10.
- Once you reach the Setting section, select 1.
- Press Down in the lower end corner on the left to save and exit the settings.
Once the device is discovered, you will receive a message on your application that the device has connected. You can add and edit the name of the device for future purpose. Select the ‘Done’ option and then again to confirm the settings.
5. How can you use Alexa with Z wave thermostat?
Some of the best Z wave thermostats are compatible with Amazon Echo. All you need to do is plug-in the device with the SmartThings hub. With a paired Z wave thermostat, Alexa (voice activated interface) can be used to change temperature settings of the thermostat, lower or dim the lights. You can use Alexa to arm your security system through Vivien smart hub that is Z wave enabled, monitor your garage door via HomeSeer smart hub and control energy efficiency of interior lightings via the Alarm.com panel. All these smart home hubs are Z wave enabled and therefore respond to the thermostat’s conditional operations.
6. How to wire Z wave thermostat?
Your HVAC system should include a common wiring cycle that is connected to the terminal labeled ‘C’. Once you’ve detached and opened your thermostat grid, you can check for the wiring. Sometimes the C wiring is present behind the furnace and absent on the grid wall. Disable the power and locate the wiring in such a case. Common wires are generally colored black but in case your thermostat doesn’t include one, you must either buy a smart thermostat that comes with C wiring terminal or else add a new wiring loop using Venstar.
Z wave thermostat function on C wiring and this is where they receive their power from. There are certain conditions where the thermostat is battery operated however C wiring is essential if a large number of smart devices are integrated with the system. Without C wiring, your device will receive its power from standard HVAC system, assuming its running. If the HVAC system is turned off, in such a scenario the smart thermostat will tap into the heat wire, to pull power and in turn can easily short circuit your electrical grid.
7. What does Wi-Fi thermostat vs. Z wave thermostat mean?
There are many smart thermostats that function on the Z wave enabled communication system. This means that instead of using Wi-Fi for information pulling and receiving, Z wave is the interface that connects devices together for data exchange. It is a low powering alternative for Wi-Fi and can be used on your mobile phones. For example Alarm.com is a security system that is Z wave enabled, and functions to safeguard the property remotely through the phone or tablet. The mesh network in Z wave tech operates on a different frequency as compared to Wi-Fi and can spread up to 232 devices without crowding frequency. The only drawback is that it requires a hub while Wi-Fi enabled devices connect via router.
8. What is difference between Z wave and Z wave Plus?
Z wave is the building block of the interface system and Z wave plus is merely an extension. It is a certification that devices receive for utilizing and integrating the latest features of Z wave technology or Gen 5. While Z-Wave Plus enhances user experience by not only simplifying installation but also improving speed like for e.g. Honeywell Smart Z Wave Thermostat.
9. How can I make my kitchen smart using Z wave?
Smart lighting systems like the Aeotec Z wave LED strip for Brightening and Atmosphere, saves energy and can light up in 16 million distinct colors. Voice control like Alexa or Google that are linked with your Z wave interface can facilitate your cooking escapades, alert smoke sensors in the kitchen, adjust lighting etc.
10. How is Z wave technology useful during winters?
Smart water sensors can be installed in the house to minimize risk of flooding, and freezing. The Z wave interface sends alerts to your phone as soon as it detects high levels of water accumulation. You can prevent your water heater from overheating during winters using a temperature sensor that is connected to your Z wave thermostat. Smart bulbs that function under the Z wave technology ensure daylight savings and keep your house warm and cozy. Z wave thermostat also prevents pipes from freezing during winters by monitoring smart water valves.
While many consumers prefer using smart technology that adheres to simplicity in design and operation, there are several models with features to die for! The best smart thermostat in the market is one that quickly adjusts your house’s temperature conditions to a more comfortable state. Hence many smart thermostats you find in the market are now Z wave certified and enabled.
As per the best z wave thermostat reviews, we can conclude that Alarm.com Smart Thermostat is ideally the best buy for smart home consumers that utilize a wide range of smart devices in their homes. It can burn your wallet if your home is divided into multiple zones however the operation system runs smooth, and you need a device that can undertake a wide range of smart home appliances, and electrical furnishings. Not only is it the best touch screen thermostat it also serves a dual purpose – includes a smart security system that is energy efficient, offers remote access and ensures autonomous control of smart devices via Z wave interface.
The Budget Friendly
Out of the best z wave thermostats, there are few that won’t burn your pockets. Many consumers prefer something straightforward and less expensive. For such home owners the ideal match would be GoControl Z-Wave thermostat that offers high performance without sacrificing functionality. It offers the ideal configuration in terms of – installation, processing and maintenance. And the best part is that it’s incredibly economical for consumers who aren’t tech savvy, and use limited smart devices in their homes.
Last update on 2022-05-20 at 08:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API