So, you have got hold of a Roomba vacuum cleaner and are looking forward to making your daily house-keeping tasks easier?
A wise investment indeed! But after a few years of usage, you will find the original battery to become dysfunctional. But worry not! Here come the Roomba replacement batteries to your rescue! Where to find and how to use them, you ask? Well, we are here to make your task simpler.
We will introduce you to the top seven Roomba replacement batteries and will also guide you with the process of replacement and share some Roomba battery hacks with you, to make your experience better.
We have done an extensive research to handpick the best ones to serve your purpose and have listed their pros and cons to help you make the right selection of iRobot Roomba batteries. So, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Comparison Table 
- 2 Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Reviews
- 2.1 1. Powerextra 3.8Ah Ni-MH Battery
- 2.2 Pros:
- 2.3 Cons:
- 2.4 2. Tenergy 3500 mAh Replacement Battery
- 2.5 Pros:
- 2.6 Cons:
- 2.7 3. Morpilot 3800mAh Ni-MH Battery for iRobot Roomba
- 2.8 Pros:
- 2.9 Cons:
- 2.10 4. Tenergy 5200 mAh Replacement Battery for iRobot Roomba
- 2.11 Pros:
- 2.12 Cons:
- 2.13 5. Powerextra 3000 mAh Roomba Replacement Battery
- 2.14 Pros:
- 2.15 Cons:
- 2.16 6. Lithium Roomba Replacement Battery
- 2.17 Pros:
- 2.18 Cons:
- 2.19 7. Mr.Batt Replacement Battery
- 2.20 Pros:
- 2.21 Cons:
- 3 Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Comparison Table 
Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Reviews
1. Powerextra 3.8Ah Ni-MH Battery
This one comes from the house of Powerextra, a brand that is well-known for producing high-quality products that are CE-certified and suit the desired criteria of OEM products.
It is easy to be connected with almost all Roomba models and is designed to give them the maximum life-span. The package includes four side-brushes to suit the different models along with four screws.
- This battery of 3800 mAh capacity has a voltage of 14.4 Volt and can keep your Roomba operational for 1.5 to 3 hours when fully charged. Though a replacement product, it works as well as genuine ones. Your bot will get the same impetus as a new one!
- There are a number of safeguarding features that would prevent the battery from potential damages. You don’t need to worry if you forget to unplug your Roomba from the charging station or if it gets discharged all of a sudden. As far as durability and battery life is concerned, it has received good feedback from the buyers.
- One significant feature that almost every customer is happy with is that the battery is very easy to install. Also, it comes with 30-days money-back guarantee which helps you to get it replaced if you face any issue during this time. With time, just like any other product, this battery may also wear out but don’t worry. The manufacturers will get it serviced for you or guide you with what needs to be done in such a case. You will be able to enjoy the benefits of the 12-month limited time warranty. Their 24-hour customer service will be happy to assist you whenever required.
- Increased battery life thanks to the features safeguarding against discharge, overcharge and over-discharge
- Comparatively easy to handle or carry, having a weight of 590g
- Easy to connect and charge
- Nothing as such, but in a few cases the users found it to be defective after a few days of usage
It is compatible with a wide range of Roomba models like Roomba 500 to 900 series vacuum cleaners. People have used it for models such as Scooba 450 and numerous Roomba models across the Roomba 500-900 series.
Overall, it is undoubtedly one of the best Roomba replacement batteries to go for.
2. Tenergy 3500 mAh Replacement Battery
This cost-efficient battery from Tenergy helps you to clean using your Roomba for a larger period of time at a considerably low cost.
- The direct replacement feature of the battery reduces hassles in installing it. You just need to drop in the battery in the relevant place and no tools are involved. This NiMH (Nickel Metal Hybrid) battery has a voltage of 14.4 Volts and is a suitable replacement battery, given the capacity of 3500 mAh. It saves money in the long run by enabling your Roomba to remain operational for a longer duration.
- The one-year extended warranty in this battery proves to be helpful to sort the problems that one might face.
- It is easy to install the battery
- Durability gives value for money
- Large capacity making it suitable for the purpose of charging the Roomba
- Not as good as the original batteries found in Roomba
It is compatible with the OEM iRobot charger and can be used for quite a few iRobot Roomba models, Roomba R3 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900 series being some of them.
Overall, this battery is a good way to help your Roomba regain its original form!
3. Morpilot 3800mAh Ni-MH Battery for iRobot Roomba
This 3800 mAh battery perfectly matches with the in-built ones found in most Roomba models. It is convenient to use and can be easily carried wherever you are going.
- One great feature of this replacement Roomba battery is that it does not have any memory effect, unlike many others of its type. Memory effect or lazy battery effect is the effect where batteries are likely to lose their maximum battery capacity and tend to hold a lesser amount of charge. This battery from Morpilot is devoid of it and thus capable of holding maximum charge.
- It uses the highest quality cells that make use of rapid charge technology. They overcharge and over-discharge protection features safeguard it from losing its full capacity in situations where it can be over-charged or over-discharged. It thus increases the life of the batteries.
- With its huge capacity of 3800 mAh, the battery remains operational for about 1.5 to 3 hours after being fully charged.
- It comes with a side-brush and a cleaning tool for free and includes features that safeguard it from short circuit, over-current and overheat.
- Moreover, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee which assures you that they can even replace the battery during the first month if required and a 12-month warranty which ensures that the customer service will take care of any issue that may occur within a year of purchase.
- Devoid of memory effect and hence retains full charge capacity
- Protective features safeguard it from possible harm
- Huge capacity of 3800 mAh gives an operational period of 1.5-3 hours
- Some users have experienced charging errors with it
It is compatible with a large number of models like 510, 531, 530, 532, 535, 533, 536, 545, 550, 540, 552, 561, 551, 560, 580, 562, 581, 585, 595, 570, 610, 630, 600, 620, 650, 655, 654, 660, 653, 700, 770, 790, 780, 800, 760, 880, 870, 980, 80501 and R3.
With a considerably good charging capacity and the ability to retain the same through the years, it is definitely one of the best batteries to choose.
4. Tenergy 5200 mAh Replacement Battery for iRobot Roomba
With a super-high capacity of 5200 mAh, this battery can prove to be even better than the original one it comes with. In a crowd of NiMH and NiCd batteries, this one is unique and requires lesser maintenance.
- The most notable feature of this battery is its huge capacity which is far better than that of the original model which runs for approximately 3 hours. This one, with its 5200 mAh specification, can last up to 5 hours. These two extra hours are worthy of the money that you invest behind these batteries. The storage time, though, is dependent on the model concerned and the type of floor on which it is used.
- These batteries require less maintenance being Lithium-Ion powered. Unlike the NiMH and NiCd batteries, they do not suffer from self-discharge and memory effects. The power depletion is remarkably low, with only 1% of the power being depleted per month in comparison to the 25% rate as found in the NiMH batteries. While the latter tend to lose their capacity even when in storage, the Lithium batteries from Tenergy are long-lasting and durable.
- The plug-and-play replacement feature comes in handy in making it compatible with a wide range of models.
- Equipped with the necessary safety features such as protection against over-discharge, overcharge, over-heating, and over-current, it easily complies with the UL1642&CE safety standards.
- The cleaning tool and side brushes accompanying the battery also deserve mention. The package includes one cleaning brush comb along with four side brushes (two of which are for Roomba 800 Series and the other two for Roomba 500, 600, and 700 Series).
- More long-lasting as compared to Nickel batteries
- Lesser power depletion due to the absence of self-discharge and memory effects
- Its protective features make it a safe choice
- Customer service is not so good
It is compatible with Roomba R3 500, 700, 600, and 800 Series.
In short, the Tenergy 5200 mAh batteries can save you from the pain of replacing your Roomba batteries frequently.
5. Powerextra 3000 mAh Roomba Replacement Battery
These series replacement batteries have a capacity of 3000 mAh and voltage of 14.4 volt. These are certified as OEM products and are capable of meeting your expectations easily. They are also CE certified and tested by the manufacturers to be perfect for the cause.
- Powerextra brings you these 3000 mAh batteries in addition to the other models of 3800 mAh capacity. Though of a comparatively lesser capacity, it powers your digital cleaning agent to make your home free from the mess created by your pets.
- It is devoid of memory effect and can charge Roomba conveniently and fast. It takes very less time to charge the cleaner and thus saves time to be utilized in other valuable processes.
- The installation process is also quite easy. Once you have installed and charged it, it will run for about 2 hours which is, kind of, sufficient to complete the cleaning tasks and make the home free of pet litter.
- At a price much lower than the higher-capacity models, it is worthy of the investment and capable of serving your needs.
- Supports fast charging
- No memory effect
- Easy to install
- Comparatively lesser capacity
These are compatible with 500, 700, 600, 800, and 900 Series vacuum cleaners.
Owing to the performance of this battery, people who have bought it have found it to be even better than the original Roomba batteries!
6. Lithium Roomba Replacement Battery
This battery has an exceptionally high capacity of 4400 mAh. The medical grade product is certified by CE and UL 2054.
- At 4400 mAh, its capacity is 30% higher than many other popular models found in the market. Naturally, it has a larger charge cycle due to the lower Depth of Discharge. The life span is, in fact, four times higher than the Ni-MH batteries. The operating time is 46% longer.
- The certifications speak for the credibility of the battery and ensure its safety. Additionally, it has a hard base for preventing it from any possible vibration or shock along with the over-discharge, built-in over-charge, over-current, over-voltage, and over-temperature protection circuit.
- One notable feature is the Sleep Mode Design which gets the battery deactivated if it remains inactive for a certain time period, thus providing a longer battery life and operating time. For restarting it, you need to refer to the Quick Start Card that they provide.
- Exceptionally high capacity of 4400 mAh
- Medical grade product with suitable certifications ensuring its safety
- Sleep Mode Design providing a longer battery life
- As per a few customers, the charge did not last for a considerably high amount of time, hence not worth the price.
Compatible with iRobot Roomba 960, 980, 690, 890, 614, 800, 700, 900, 500, 600 Series and Scooba 450.
The product is compatible with all Lithium and Ni-MH model series from iRobot Roomba as well as the original charger.
7. Mr.Batt Replacement Battery
It is basically a substitute of the iRobot Xlife Extended Life battery, offering the same features at a much lower price. While the 4500 mAh battery from the brand is a popular choice among Roomba owners, this one being a small but powerful package is also very popular.
- With a capacity of 3500 mAh, it is capable of keeping your robot vacuum operational for as long as 70-120 minutes with a full charge. The maximum performance is achieved after 3-5 cycles of full charge.
- The package includes two side brushes that are compatible with Roomba 500-700 series models.
- It is quite easy to install and does not require you to be technically sound to handle it.
- Easy to install and use
- Offers features of original battery at a much lower price
- Compatible with a host of Roomba models
- Many buyers have found it to be not-so-good in the long run
It is compatible with almost all Roomba models from the Roomba 500-900 series.
It can be a great item to opt for at a reduced budget, while providing Roomba a good amount of running time.
Best Roomba Replacement Batteries Buyer’s Guide
Types of Roomba Replacement Batteries
There can be different types of replacement batteries for Roomba:
1. Lithium Batteries
They use lithium as anode and are also known as Lithium metal batteries.
They are characterized by high charge density and high cost per unit. The voltage may vary in the range of 1.5 Volt – 3.7 Volt.
2. Lithium-ion Batteries
In these batteries, the ions move from the negative electrode to the positive one while discharging and in the opposite direction while charging. These are featured with high charge density and low maintenance which is why they are used in some Roomba models.
3. NiMH Batteries
NiMH batteries or Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are the ones where the reaction at the positive electrode is the same as that of a Nickel-Cadmium cell.
One major problem with these batteries is the Memory Effect due to which they tend to hold lesser charge than expected. This problem is not present in Lithium batteries and hence they are preferred by many over the NiMH ones.
How to Replace Roomba Battery?
So far, we have discussed the various options that you have for replacing the Roomba batteries. You can choose the replacement battery for iRobot Roomba that seems to be the best for you and after you’ve got hold of it, the next question that will come to your mind is how to replace the Roomba battery. Well, Roomba battery replacement is no rocket science. Just follow the steps explained below:
1. Removing the Side-brushes
To replace the batteries, the first step you need to perform is to remove the side-brushes. So first remove the screws of the brushes and then the brushes.
2. Removing the Bottom Cover
The next step is to remove the four screws at the bottom and finally the bottom cover.
3. Removing the Battery
Finally, it is time to remove the battery. Though the procedure is the same for most of the models, you can refer to the instructions given by the manufacturers to be aware of the exact process involved in yours.
4. Installing the Battery
Once you have removed the battery, it is time to install the same. This can be as simple as dropping the battery to the given space, though it might require a few additional steps in some cases, depending on the model under consideration.
5. Put it to Charge
Once you have installed the battery, with the iRobot logo facing up, put it to charge for the entire night. The concept is similar to buying a new phone or laptop and charging it overnight before beginning to use it.
And you are done! Your Roomba battery is now replaced and Roomba is ready to use!
How to Maximize the Battery Life of Roomba
Who doesn’t want their electronic goods to work for a longer period of time without replacing the battery? For obvious reasons, you would want your Roomba battery to have a long life. It would be quite economical as you will not need to replace the battery frequently.
Also, increasing the Roomba battery life will help in keeping the bot operational for the duration claimed by the seller. There are a few tips which you need to know in order to ensure the same:
1. Cleaning the Brushes
The basic step would be to clean the brushes regularly. It is quite obvious that your Roomba while clearing the litter and hair of your pet, will gather a lot of dust and dirt in its brushes.
If not cleaned from time to time, the machine will find it difficult to carry on with its cleaning activities with those brushes. It will work harder in order to make the brushes spin, eventually affecting the Roomba battery life.
It is thus advisable to clean the brushes at least once a week.
2. Charge it Often
This applies mainly to Nickel-based batteries. The unit should be kept at the charging station while not in use. However, care should be taken to ensure that the charging is not done for a few days at a stretch.
3. Drain the Battery
It is advisable to run the battery and exhaust it frequently in order to keep it in a healthy condition. It’s just like avoiding the rusting of locks by using them regularly.
4. Store it Properly
Just like the other electronic gadgets you own, your Roomba needs to be kept in a cool place as heat can cause severe damage to it. Avoid direct sunlight and ensure that it gets enough room for breathing. For this, keep it away from other appliances producing heat.
5. Roomba Deserves Holiday
When you are on a vacation, Roomba also deserves the same. So, before going out, place it on “Vacation Mode“. For this, first, charge the battery completely. Then, flip it over and remove the battery by removing the screws that lock the battery door. Now place the battery in a cool place as discussed earlier.
On returning, charge it to the full and drain the same. Thereafter, you can continue with your regular routine with the bot.
Following the above-mentioned tips, you can ensure longer life of your iRobot Roomba battery and avoid the usual Roomba battery problems.
How to Reset a Roomba Battery?
A Roomba battery reset is suggested when you find the bot to become less effective in its work which is a sign that the battery has become exhausted.
Resetting of the battery is basically the regeneration of the same. It helps in increasing the life span of your battery. Let us find out how this can be done.
1. Removing from Charge
First of all, remove the Roomba from its charge base. iRobot Roomba battery reset should never be performed while on charge-station.
2. Pressing the ‘Clean’ Button
The next step would be to switch it on and press the ‘Clean’ button.
3. Pressing the ‘Spot’ and ‘Dock’ Buttons
Now, press and hold the ‘Spot’ and ‘Dock’ buttons. You will find these buttons above and below the ‘Clean’ button, respectively. The pressing and holding need to be done for about ten seconds.
On releasing the buttons, you will find the Roomba to make noise and start.
4. Place it back to Charging Station
Finally, place it back to the charging station till the green light around the ‘Clean‘ button is lit.
And that’s all! You have successfully reset it. Now what needs to be done is to reset its time and date and schedule the cleaning.
How to Charge Roomba Battery for the First Time?
If you are using it for the first time, you may not know how to charge the battery.
Roomba’s battery should be charged fully before it gets into operation. What you need to do is, connect the line cord to the Home Base and dock your bot. The duration for charging Roomba should be at least two hours and when done for the first time, it should be an overnight process.
Let us get familiar with the different colors in which the battery symbol may blink to indicate the charging status:
Amber color indicates that it is charging. The solid green color of the symbol means the bot is fully charged whereas a solid red color means the battery is empty and needs to be recharged soon.
Also, Flashing Red indicates that the battery is too low to begin the cleaning operation and needs to be charged immediately.
You also need to be aware of the concept of Refresh Charge. If the machine is left away from its charging station for long and the charge has considerably drained, it will begin charging on its own!
The time period of Refresh Charge is usually 16 hours. During this time, do not disturb it and let it charge on its own.
What to do if your Roomba is not Holding Charge?
Even after charging your smart vacuum cleaner for the appropriate duration, you may sometimes find that it is not holding the charge to perform its tasks. Why does this happen? What is the way out?
Well, under such a situation you need to perform a sixteen-hour battery reset. This may help in improving the runtime.
It can also be possible due to a displacement of the battery. It may happen that the battery has been shifted a bit away from where it should have ideally been and hence the problem. So, in such a case, it is advisable to plug it off, remove the battery, place it in the proper position, and then start charging.
Another possibility can be faulty parts which is a common issue and it is advisable to contact the manufacturer to solve the same as they will get that part replaced for free if it is under warranty.
So, by now, you must be clear on the basics of using Roomba replacement batteries and have got an idea of the best options to choose from.
If you ask us, our choice would be the Lithium Roomba replacement battery. With a capacity of 4400 mAh, medical-grade quality, and a pretty long battery life, it offers a perfect balance and can be the best one to opt for. Also, if someone is looking for a NiMH battery, the Tenergy 3500 mAh battery can be the ideal choice for them.
Again, for those who are looking for a budget buy, we would recommend the 3000 mAh battery from Powerextra which, at a reasonable price, is capable of keeping the bot operational throughout its cleaning cycle.
Which one among the seven batteries that we talked about impressed you the most? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
Last update on 2021-04-18 at 12:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API